Jul 26 2012

Just a Scary Controversy?

Published by under Student blog entries

This past weekend, I was in West Virginia visiting family like I do every summer. I hadn’t seen everyone in a while so they all asked how I had been doing and were curious about what I had been up to lately. I

Onshore wind farm. Credit to Wikimedia.

explained to my cousin that I was taking an environmental science class over the summer about renewable coastal energy sources and that I was really enjoying what I had learned so far.

She was very curious about what I was specifically learning so I went on to tell her about all the places we had visited, all the people who had spoken to our class, and all the energy devices that are currently being developed.

Once I got to explaining offshore wind farms, she stopped me and said,

Those are scary.”

She told me that she had recently gone to Kansas and saw their wind farms and she thought that they were so weird and scary and she didn’t know how people lived with them. I was so shocked by her comment. I never knew that people actually thought things like that; wind energy is so beautiful to me.

Global carbon dioxide emissions from fossil fuels 1990-2008. Credit to Environmental Protection Agency.

I didn’t say anything to her about it at the time, but the more I thought about it, the more I wish I had informed her of much scarier things going on in our environment:

1. The 8 warmest years on record have been within the past 14 years, the hottest being in 2005. If temperatures keep increasing, we’re going to be living in one hot world.
  2. Global sea level has risen 9 inches in the past 100 years. This is more than you may realize.
  3. There were 27 named hurricanes in 2005. This is more than any other recorded year and is the result of higher ocean temperatures.
  4. Outbreaks of malaria and dengue fever have occurred in the United States within the past decade. These are diseases mainly known to only thrive in the tropics.
  5. Greenhouse gas emissions by gas in 2007. Credit to Environmental Protection Agency.

35,000 people died in Europe’s 2003 heat wave.

6. Crop failure has increased around the globe due to high temperatures that crops cannot survive in.
  7. The climate is changing faster than any time in the past 10,000 years. This makes predicting future climates very difficult for scientists.
  8. There are 16 million new cars on the road every year. Just be thankful for the newer eco-friendly innovations.
  9. Despite its contribution to global warming, global fossil fuel consumption is still increasing.
  10. We could be preventing all of this. Some people don’t believe statistics such as these and think that global warming isn’t true. While some facts are exaggerated, global warming still exists. Carbon dioxide emissions and global warming can be significantly reduced by a switch to healthier energy sources. Research is going on every day to push us in the right direction and improve our environment while still meeting our energy needs.

———————————————–

“10 Scary Facts & Statistics about Global Warming.” A Cooler Climate. Care2, n.d. Web. 25 July 2012. <http://www.acoolerclimate.com/10-scary-facts-about-global-warming/>.

EPA. “Climate Change Indicators in the United States.” Environmental Protection Agency. N.p., 8 June 2012. Web. 26 July 2012. <http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/science/indicators/index.html>.

One response so far

One Response to “Just a Scary Controversy?”

1.   www.hp-encyclopedia.orgon 17 Jun 2014 at 8:30 am

This blog was… how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally
    I have found something which helped me. Thanks a lot!